The Old New Inn, built in 1787 or thereabouts, was, from its beginning, an important coaching inn established on the newly turnpiked section of Carrs Road. It was extensively up-dated in 1839, or thereabouts in response to the competition from the new New Inn which had been built on the new and last turnpiked road that we now call the A62 Manchester Road.
An advertisement for the letting of the inn in 1841 describes the property in detail. "TO BE LET, for a term of Years, with immediate Possession, all that old established and well accustomed COMMERCIAL INN, situate at Marsden aforesaid, with a spacious Yard, Stabling for Twenty-four Horses, Cow-houses, Lock-up Carriage House, and other Outbuildings and Appurtenances thereto belonging and also Nine Acres of LAND adjoining or near thereto. The House contains Four Sitting Rooms, Seven Bed Rooms, a commodious Bar, Large Kitchen, with Scullery and Wash-house, excellent Wine, Porter, Ale and Beer Cellars, Larder and other Conveniences, with an abundant and never failing Supply of excellent Water.
The Buildings and Premises are in perfect Repair and of recent Erection, the Situation is most advantageous; Ten Coaches daily stop for change of Horses, besides which the superior nature of the Accommodation for Gentlemen's Travelling Carriages and Horses secures a most respectable Business, not only during the Summer Season but throughout the Year."
The Old New Inn closed in 2011 and was converted into two houses.
Designed and built by Learning Connections