Marsden Football Club - 50s heydays
This decade was to prove the most successful in the clubs' history so far with the winning of 11 trophies. Through this period the team played in the SELAL except for two seasons 1953-54/1954-55 back in the WRCAL where they were Section B champions in 1953-54.
In the SELAL they won –
The Huddersfield & District FA Challenge Cup was won in 1951, 1953, 1954 & 1955 completing a hat-trick of victories.
Crowds flocked to Fall Lane in their hundreds just to see league matches, paying to enter at one of the two wooden huts situated at the entrances from Carrs Road and Manchester Road. Two of the best known players were captain Stanley Matthews at the heart of the defence, whilst up front was probably the most prolific goal scorer in local amateur football at that time, Jack Pennington.
In the early 50's Walter Bottomley was the trainer with Syd Shaw taking over in 1955-56, holding the position for 11 years to 1965/66. Headquarters were now at the New Inn with teams changing upstairs then having to walk along Manchester Road to the field. Coaches from the adjacent W.H.& F. Schofield depot (later taken over by Hansons) were used to transport players and their many supporters to away games.
A thriving Committee ensured appropriate support to what was a vibrant club. Stalwarts Alec Schofield and Jack Midwood staying around to see the club into the mid 60's as Secretary and Treasurer. Jack then continued his association with the club as a Vice President until his death in June 1988. Alec went to live 'down South' near to London in January 1996 and kept in touch until December 1997.
Success in both league and cup competitions often meant the team having to cram in numerous games at the end of seasons. In both 1951 and 1955 nine games were played in the space of 15 days whilst in May 1953, on the last day of the season, two games were played on the Saturday. In the afternoon Clayton Bridge were beaten 7-0 at Fall Lane to clinch the runners-up place, then in the evening at Eccles they beat English Steel 3-2 in the Shield Final after extra time with only three changes from the afternoon team!!
In addition that season they won the H & D FA Challenge Cup, beating Meltham 2-0 and reached the Quarter Final of the West Riding County FA Cup.
Records show that at Easter in 1954 the team and some supporters went over to Namur in Belgium to play a 'friendly' match. A series of 20 photos cover the event but there is no record of the result.